a little learning is a dangerous thing ...

Monday, May 26, 2008

The Rolling Hills of Skipton

The papers are being sorted and the books are being sold. I'm piling up clothes and taking down posters and although it's unavoidable, it's still bittersweet.



The organizer in me is elated at the prospect of cleaning house, but it's a bit daunting, so to take off some of the pressure induced by the official confirmation that I'm flying home this Friday (the 30th), Tasha, Anna-Mari, Silke and I made a quick trip to the green fields of Bolton Abbey in Skipton, West Yorkshire yesterday.



Bolton's been a functioning Christian worshiping place for 850 continuous years. You couldn't ask for a more peaceful (and pastoral) setting, either: sheep and cows roam freely around the abbey's boundaries and the land connects to a picturesque stream. Combine that with the children and their parents spending the morning outside on the walking trails, and it's classic Yorkshire: quiet and home-y. We enjoyed having some tea, seeing the abbey ruins and walking the farmer's fields just behind them before heading home to Bodington for a quiet Sunday night. Ah... serenity.


Tonight is Francesca's 21st birthday, so we're heading out to celebrate with her. Before that though, Christian and I are checking out a Guillemots show at Leeds Met University... I have a link on the righthand side of the blog page to Guillemots' MySpace-- the band's incredibly talented, and I'm SO excited to see them live. I waffled a bit over buying the tickets this close before going home, but decided I couldn't miss the opportunity... I have no idea when they're coming to Canada! I'll have an update soon to let you know what I thought :).

I'm so happy to be coming home so much earlier than expected... four days! xx

No comments: